Working Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Working Students

Happy joyful group of friends displaying white board for your text on white background

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Dylon Wilhoit, News Editor

Students who are still in high school are also joining the workforce. Students get jobs in high school to pay for things like cars, school trips, lunch, and many other things, even though these jobs take crucial time away from things like studying.

In order to work at the ages of fourteen through seventeen, one must acquire a work permit if they are enrolled in any kind of schooling. Students who work have not only work to stress about but also have school work to worry about as well. This could prove to be too much to handle for a high school student.

While having a little extra cash to spend is nice, it isn’t worth flunking a test because of working late. Even though working as a tennager does build important characteristics that are needed throughout life, it may not outweigh the negatives that come with it. Some of the positive things that teens may learn from working are responsibility, punctuality, and honesty. Rilee Beavin says, “Working is pretty hard but the money is pretty nice, too.” While students do find working and schooling hard they still think the benefits outweigh the negatives. Working will always be apart of high schoolers lives no matter how hard it is.