Snow Make-Up Days: Who Needs Them?

The Possibility of eLearning days

Rachel Wood, News Editor

Snow make-up days have been a big part of every winter season. When the weather is too bad or even dangerous, school is cancelled to prevent accidents and to keep students safe. At the time, it’s a great opportunity to stay home and do nothing all day. The downfall, however, is that those days have to made up, which can take huge chunks out of spring break. What if there was something that could prevent having to miss part of the precious break away from school? Luckily, the school is looking to implement eLearning Days, an alternative to snow make-up days.

When school gets cancelled due to bad weather conditions, the school could host eLearning days instead of snow make-up days, where students can take their classes online. This would be beneficial in many ways, according to Superintendent Rob Moorhead. “I want to make sure that if we give up a day of school for an eLearning Day that our educational activities do not suffer,” said Moorhead. “This could be especially helpful if we had a really bad winter where we missed 10 or more days.” This year’s possible snow make-up days are Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, and March 19 through 23, which is the first week of spring break.

Other benefits of having eLearning days is that we could have regularly scheduled online days at home while teachers have Professional Development activities. According to Moorhead, this would be a definite plus because he would get to spend quality time working with the faculty.

Even though the benefits of eLearning days far outweigh the downsides, the school board is still looking into establishing them at school. “This is something we are looking into for future school years.  You have to apply to the state in order to be able to offer eLearning Days.  We are looking in to what all needs to be done in order to apply.  We have a Corporation Technology Committee, made up of teachers and administrators, that is studying this issue right now,” said Moorhead.