Mrs.Mockbee’s Carnival

The advisory service learning project

Avery Perkinson, New/Opinion Writer

Mrs. Belinda Mockbee’s advisory class hosted a mini carnival on Nov. 3. It was Mockbee’s advisory groups service learning project that chose to do.

Last year Mockbee’s class did “help pin down a cure for cancer.” They raised almost $500 and it donated to Relay for Life. If this junior high class can raise enough money doing this mini carnival, they will definitely try to make it a tradition for years to come.

The preschoolers from SRES came over to the junior high at 12:45 til 1:15 p.m. to have their carnival fun. The 7th graders went into the gym at 1:15 til 2:05, and the 8th graders had their fun from 2:10 til 2:55.

Jordan Puckett, an eighth grade student, said “I think that the advisory project is something fun for kids and it teaches the 8th graders to be more responsible. My favorite thing to be apart of in the carnival will have to be the ring toss.”

The advisory class had 8 to 10 small activities. Including a ring toss, basketball toss, hole-in-one, face painting, photo booth, and a haunted house.  

Abigail Jones, eighth grader, said “I think that it is a good idea for a service learning project. It is a fun thing for us to do and is also a fun thing for others to participate in. My favorite part is probably going to be seeing people get mad because they didn’t win the game or happy because they beat their friends.”